Student Residency Prize
Applications for 2021 are now OPEN!
Who Can Apply?
The Cromarty Arts Trust Student Residency Prize is open to any student who will graduate this year OR any artist who has graduated in the past two years, from a college or university in Scotland and in ANY art form.
The prize consists of a student residency at the Cromarty Stables for one month, either 28th Sept - 28th Oct OR 1st - 30th November. Please only apply if you are able to come for one of these chunks of time!
Cromarty itself is a rather special part of the world – a small town on the peninsula of the Black Isle that is not only beautiful and vibrant, but brimming with history, wildlife, geology, important architecture and one of the friendliest places you could hope to visit! With award-winning cafes, restaurant, shops and galleries and a resident population of bottle-nosed dolphins in the Firth, it’s not surprising that it is consistently listed in the ‘top places to live in Scotland’ lists in various press publications.
What You Get
- En-suite, self-catering accommodation in Ardyne House
- Studio space amongst a friendly bunch of like-minded, local artists in the Stables studios
- A grant of £750 towards travel, materials and subsistence costs
- Experience of life in a small but vibrant, coastal Highland town
The residency is primarily intended to provide an opportunity for the winning artist to develop their own work in a new and inspiring environment at the beginning of their artistic career.
What We Get
The resident artist will also be expected to:
- Hold an event such as a talk or workshop and a small, informal exhibition.
- Write a short retrospective report about their residency.
- Leave behind a piece of their work for the Cromarty Collection.
How To Apply
Applicants should send:
- Completed application form
- A maximum of 5 items: photographs, written pieces, examples of work
- A brief statement (max 1000 words) about the themes you would hope to explore or develop during the residency, what you would hope to get out of your time in Cromarty, why you should be chosen, etc.
- Two relevant references should be provided along with your application.
We prefer applications to be emailed to email@example.com or via a web-based file sharing system such as Dropbox, etc.
Applications should reach us no later than 5pm on Friday 2nd July 2021.
What Happens Next?
A Highland-based panel which will include at least one established artist and representatives of arts organisations and the Cromarty Arts Trust will decide on the winner and all entrants will be notified by email.
Of course this residency opportunity can only proceed if Scottish Government guidelines and regulations continue to allow us to be open. If the situation changes, we may be forced to reconsider holding the residency this year but we will keep all communications open and hopefully things will proceed as planned.
Further questions? Just email us and we'd be happy to chat anything through!
To see and hear about the experiences of previous winners, click here.